As the Patent Office for Europe, the European Patent Office (EPO) supports innovation, competitiveness and economic growth across Europe through a commitment to high quality and efficient services delivered under the European Patent Convention. With expert staff, motivated to set worldwide standards, the EPO plays a leading role in developing an effective global patent system.
Reporting directly to the Director Facility Management, the Head of Department Facility Management Munich/Berlin and his/her team will be responsible for the soft services of facility management (i.e. space planning, removals and furniture; canteen, cleaning, maintenance of plants, service ticket line; management of rented buildings and renting out of space; conference room services; logistic centre such as internal mail room and messengers, printing, car pool and drivers and stationary) of the EPO-owned and -rented buildings at the Munich and Berlin sites, with a total gross floor area of approx. 350,000 square metres.
The department currently has some 40 staff spread across aforementioned sites, with its primary presence being in Munich. The Head of Department will have five direct reports and manage the department both on a strategic as well as on an operational level. The main challenges of the role are the wide range of very diverse services, the need to formulate and implement a variety of change initiatives, and the need for coordination with a large number of stakeholders and business partners across the entire organisation.
- Organises, directs and controls the Facility Management Services in Munich and Berlin, including the supervision and management of his direct reports in charge of the duties here under:
- space management and accommodation including rented space
- removals and furnishing, including ergonomy, inventory, etc.
- cleaning, waste, gardens, catering, art collections
- operation of meeting rooms, conference facilities, events and video conferencing facilities
- supervision of the Service Line and quality management
- supervision of the logistic centre including the printing section, mail room and logistic support
- Manages staff and all outsourced activities
- Drafts and administers budgets and contracts
- Manages the implementation of new procedures and new tools
- Guides the department and its staff through change management processes
- Leads, promotes and/or supports the development of the department and its staff
- Represents the Facility Management service, and if appropriate the Office, in official bodies, projects and working groups
- Reports on the status, progress and planning of activities and projects
- Represents when appropriate the FM Director on-site at Munich headquarter, e.g. in meetings or with key stakeholders
- Any other duties, as required by the Director
The Ideal candidate will have
- A university degree in civil engineering, architecture or a similar discipline
- Sound knowledge and practical experience of facility management / soft services, ideally in an office environment on an international level
- At least 5 years' experience in similar positions in industry, the public sector or an international organisation of comparable size
- Prior experience in a line management role, ideally whilst leading cross-site teams and other line managers
- Ability to work analytically and conceptually, ability to prepare clear and comprehensive documents for management decisions
- A natural bias for action and team-driven work and a talent for creative and risk-intelligent problem-solving
- Strong communication skills, fostering transparency and clear understanding
- Good people management skills, including the ability to implement changes and experience in mitigating conflicting interests and targets
- Fluent English, very good knowledge of German
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally, between EPO sites
- Diploma of completed studies at Master's level or - in exceptional cases - equivalent professional experience
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French or German) and ability to understand the other two
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 521 to 7 818 depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant's, childcare, education, expatriation, installation, rent and language allowance).
Process and timeline
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and relevant experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
It is intended to hold the interviews in calendar week 11 of 2018 in Munich.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
* After deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.